Do you thrive in the leadership of regional/national/strategic client relationships, including developing and implementing the strategies and programs needed to achieve goals and objectives within the federal, electric transmission, and mining markets? Do you enjoy working with a team of professionals in the establishment and subsequent growth of sales, revenue, and brand within that market? Do you consistently promote collaboration across business units to achieve success? SWCA Environmental Consultants, a high growth company, is seeking a proven professional to service the company in developing private and public sector clients while providing strategic thought leadership and direction for SWCA’s business objectives. While this position will focus on work in the West Region primarily, it is expected that you will work on projects and opportunities across the company.
There is flexibility on the home office location and working as a distributed employee is also possible.
Please include a Letter of Interest with your application.
The deadline to apply for this opportunity will be September 30, 2020.
· Grow the business across strategic transmission, federal and mining markets as part of the market teams
· Develop and execute on collaborative business development processes
· Ensure a robust opportunity funnel and fully vet all major opportunities with your area of expertise.
· Manage opportunity-specific sales and pursuit teams; tasks include opportunity identification and evaluation, project development, and proposal and presentation preparation
· Annual planning and alignment of transmission business line as part of the overall SWCA growth goals
· Develop teaming partners – both prime and sub – to meet pursuit goals
· Identify, lead, and support initiatives for enhanced business development performance and efficiencies for continued growth. This includes marketing and branding activities, pursuit tracking, and increased sales efficiencies
· Mentor SWCA staff in business development
Client and Market Accountabilities
· Identifies, develops, manages, and grows key client relationships.
· Acts as an advocate for SWCA and clients in negotiating favorable contracts and resolving conflicts.
· Maintains productive relationships with relevant regulators, industry experts, academia, etc. who provide unique insights that help grow SWCA.
Planning and Problem Solving
· Creates new opportunities for SWCA by taking a novel approach to client needs and a critical view of the market to grow the business.
· Contributes to the development and implementation of long-term strategies needed to advance SWCA’s business/growth.
· Ensures work is well-coordinated across the business (e.g., aligning decisions, initiatives, priorities, and metrics).
· Obtains the resources and authority needed to effectively enable project teams.
· Manages risks and ensures consistency by being involved in the creation and review of proposals, contracts, and deliverables.
· Develops annual sales plans, program and project budgets, objectives, and targets for their area of responsibility, ensuring that they are achieved through collaboration with managers and other team members.
· Is a technical authority and recognized thought leader in their business or service lines; leverages compelling expertise that attracts key clients and top talent to SWCA.
· Serves as an expert technical resource to other professionals in their field(s), acting as an advisor to internal and client teams.
· Contributes to pursuits and proposal processes via go/no-go, capture planning, and market analysis.
· Demonstrates understanding of multiple business and service lines, leveraging experts effectively to meet client needs.
· Ensures company safety program is effectively implemented; is responsible for office, program and practice safety.
· Builds the teams and capabilities needed to support their business line(s) at SWCA.
· Motivates and engages team members by creating a culture of performance, celebrating and recognizing successes, and implementing strategies to attract, recruit, retain, motivate, and develop talent.
· Influences, even without formal authority, to ensure work efforts are effectively integrated; collaborates with colleagues across SWCA.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in archaeology, environmental planning, environmental studies, environmental management, biology, ecology, or a field related to SWCA’s services required; a Master’s degree or higher preferred
· 10 years of experience developing business in environmental consulting services preferred
· A minimum of five years of experience with the transmission market required; includes experience with client development, proposal and interview preparation, and bid preparation for transmission, federal and mining projects
· Project management expertise
· Familiarity working with the major federal environmental regulations (NEPA/ESA/CWA/NHPA etc.) and state and local regulations (CEQA, CPCN/CCNs, CUPs, etc.) as they relate to transmission projects
· Industry contacts with regulated utilities, generation and transmission companies, and regulatory agencies
· Strong understanding of transmission, mining, and federal markets and demonstrated ability to recognize and develop opportunities into successful sales and sustained growth. Demonstrated experience with electric transmission projects and client development
· Availability to travel throughout the U.S.
· Demonstrated commitment and success in collaborative processes across the business.
· Possesses well-established expertise in their discipline, along with a proven track record of broadening into other disciplines.
· Possesses broad understanding of relevant environmental regulatory requirements.
· Recognized and capitalized on market trends that impact the business (e.g., new regulations, technological developments, competitor intel, etc.).
· Contributed to the development and implementation of strategic plans and initiatives.
· Proven experience in developing new business and leading major proposal efforts.
· Possesses strong client-facing skills (e.g., communication, relationship building, problem solving).
· Track record of establishing positive relationships with agencies at the local, regional, and national levels.
· Demonstrated ability to develop client management plans and market analyses.
· Possesses extensive network of industry professionals to develop business and leverage for recruiting efforts.
· Demonstrated ability to sell and deliver new, high-value projects (e.g., early stage pursuit, capturing the client, market analysis, action planning, resource allocation).
· Proven track record of influencing the delivery of results, even in areas without direct authority.
· Possesses a strong understanding of financial metrics, with the proven ability to develop and implement budgets, rate schedules, and contracts.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email [email protected] or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.