All professional members of the International Association for Society & Natural Resources (IASNR) are invited to apply for our inaugural Bridge-builder Award.
The Bridge-builder award recognizes an IASNR member who reaches across boundaries—whether those be identity, geographic, disciplinary, knowledge system and/or institutional—to make new connections in natural resource social science.
IASNR prides itself on being a home to those whose interests and activities do not fit neatly ‘in a box’ and wants to showcase those who are making the novel connections necessary to advance our field. A bridge-builder takes a leading role in assembling diverse teams or engaging with diverse communities, and this could happen at a range of scales and still be worthy of recognition: from mentoring a highly diverse student team, doing translational work locally across knowledge systems or sectors all the way to interdisciplinary global teams. Bridge-builders foster new linkages while building our community and knowledge- base and/or improving outcomes on the ground.
The award certificate will be given during the 2022 IASNR Conference in San José, Costa Rica, June 26-30 (registration will be waived), during which the awardee will be asked to speak briefly about their bridge-building work. In addition to, or as an alternative for applicants not intending to attend that event, a separate webinar could be organized with the collaboration of the Professional Development Committee.
Nominations should comprise:
- a 500-1000-word letter, outlining the candidate’s fit with the above description; including,
- names and contact details of two references who could speak to the bridge-building efforts described; and,
- include a c.v. as an attachment.
We encourage applicants from all career stages, subfields, identities, and geographies, especially those who are underserved in the field of natural resource social science. Selection will be made on the basis of:
- the impact and outcomes of the work to the organizations, communities, and/or places being studied;
- the scholarly or professional contribution it represents;
- the novelty of the boundaries being spanned—that is, how unusual the linkages are in the field of natural resource social science; and,
- the duration of the candidate’s related work relative to opportunity.
Preference may be given to early and mid-career applicants in the final adjudication.
- Self-nominations are encouraged.
- Applicants must be a current member of IASNR when they receive the award, and have been a member in at least one of the previous three years: you do not need to be a member to apply for the award.
- Applicants cannot be a current member of IASNR Council.
Nomination Submission Procedures and Deadlines:
Please send nominations to the IASNR office ([email protected]) with the subject line Bridge-builder Award as a single attachment by midnight in your local time, March 31, 2022. Please refer questions to Dr. Kate Sherren, chair of the Membership Committee, at [email protected]. Award recipient will be notified as soon as possible. Additional information about the 2022 ISSRM Conference can be found by clicking here. For information on the International Association for Society and Natural Resources (IASNR) and a membership application, please visit the IASNR website.